Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship
The Bridge to the Doctorate (BD) Grant is awarded by the National Science Foundation through the Florida-Georgia Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (FG-LSAMP) to enhance recruitment and retention of underrepresented minority students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines. The BD program at UF provides up to a $32,000-per-year stipend for the first two years of doctoral studies to former LSAMP students who are entering a STEM Ph.D. program and have earned a baccalaureate degree or will earn a baccalaureate degree prior to Fall 2018 (click here to read the LSAMP STEM classification). Along with this stipend, the grant also provides two years of support for tuition, fees and health insurance. To date, UF has completed three cohorts of BD fellows, with the first cohort starting in 2008.
Former LSAMP students who are entering a Ph.D. program after completing a baccalaureate degree are eligible to apply. Since this program is intended to increase enrollment in Ph.D. programs, currently enrolled doctoral students are not eligible to apply. We are not accepting applications for Fall 2019.
For more information regarding Bridge to the Doctorate (BD) program please visit the Florida Georgia Louis Stokes Alliance For Minority Participation.
For more information, please call or email the Office of Graduate Diversity Initiatives: Phone: 352-392-6444 or Email: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident to apply?
- Yes, you must be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident to be eligible to apply for the Bridge to the Doctorate.
How do I know if I’m eligible to apply for the Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship?
- To be considered eligible a student must meet all of the following below:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Identify as African American, Hispanic (priority is given to underrepresented minority students)
- Undergraduate STEM majoring in science or engineering
- Participate in an LSAMP program or earned a baccalaureate degree an LSAMP institution
- Commitment to the pursuit of the Ph.D. in science or engineering
How much money will I receive if I am awarded the Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship?
- The BD program at the University of Florida provides up to $32,000-per-year stipend for the first two years of doctoral studies.
How long can a student be funded by the Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship?
- The BD fellowship will support a student for the first 2 years of their doctoral studies.
Can I have more than one funding source?
- It depends on the funding source. Please contact our office for more details.