Special Appointment Process
Special appointment to a graduate student’s supervisory committee allows qualified UF or non-UF personnel who do not have regular graduate faculty status at UF to serve as guest experts on graduate students’ supervisory committees.
Special appointments are made individually, student by student, on a case-by-case basis.
Special appointments can serve only as members on supervisory committees (not as chairs, co-chairs or externals).
Special appointments do not count toward the required minimum for a valid supervisory committee (which must be filled by current UF graduate faculty), but over and above that number.
Nominations for special appointment to a graduate student’s supervisory committee are processed through the Graduate Information Management System (GIMS).
To start this process, please:
- Log into GIMS.
- Enter the student’s UFID number in the “UFID/Name” slot.
- Click the “Find” button.
- On the student’s GIMS screen, click “Actions” on the pertinent light-blue Degree Segment bar.
- Click “Submit Special Appointment” on the drop-down menu that appears.
- On the pop-up screen that appears, follow the prompts and fill in the blanks.
- Click the “Submit to Grad School” button.
Those steps will send your request to the Graduate School for final processing.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail once your request is processed by the Graduate School.
Before you start this process, you will need:
- A UFID number, if the appointee doesn’t already have one. (Your payroll/personnel staffer generates this in PeopleSoft.)
- The nominee’s most up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- An evaluative statement from your department chair or school director, explaining what knowledge, experience and skills this special appointment will bring to the student’s research as a guest expert on his/her supervisory committee.
If you have any questions about this process, please e-mail UF Graduate School Office Manager Gregory Orloff at email@example.com or telephone him at (352) 392-1558.