Graduate Faculty: Regular Appointment Process
Regular appointment to an academic unit’s graduate faculty allows qualified UF faculty members to serve on graduate students’ supervisory committee as:
- Chair or co-chair, for graduate students within academic units in which they hold graduate faculty status.
- Member, for graduate students in any academic unit.
- External, for graduate students outside of the academic units in which they hold graduate faculty status.
Nominations for regular appointment to an academic unit’s graduate faculty are processed through the Graduate Information Management System (GIMS).
This process requires three levels of approval: first, by your department chair or school director or his/her designee; second, by your college dean or his/her designee; and finally, by the Graduate School.
To start this process, please:
- Log into GIMS.
- Click on “Faculty Appointments” on the main menu.
- Click on the “Add Application” tab that appears in the right pane of your browser window.
- Follow the prompts to fill in the blanks and submit the nomination online.
Once the Graduate School makes a decision on your nomination in the last stage of this process, you will receive an e-mail update about that decision.
Before you start this process, you will need:
- The nominee’s most up-to-date curriculum vitae, showing his/her current UF employment, work address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- The results of your academic unit’s vote on granting graduate faculty status to the nominee. (The “yes” votes must equal at least two-thirds — 66% — of the total voters for the nomination to proceed.)
- An evaluative statement from your department chair or school director, explaining what experience and skills qualify the nominee for mentoring graduate students via assignment to their supervisory committees.
If you have any questions about this process, please e-mail UF Graduate School Office Manager Gregory Orloff at email@example.com or telephone him at (352) 392-1558.